Untitled design

Aghaboe House, Aghaboe, Ballacolla, Co. Laois

Sale Type: For Sale by Private Treaty

Clement Herron Real Estate are delighted to welcome Aghaboe Estate to the sales market.

Aghaboe House is a period property dating back to the 17th century standing on twelve and half acres accessed via a tree lined avenue.

The property includes a private orchard and a range of out buildings and detached mews bounded by the estate wall and over looks Aghaboe Abbey. This substantial one of a kind detached five bedroom property is a seven bay two-storey Georgian house c. 1730, with pedimented doorcase and may incorporate 17th century fabrics. This property has earned it's place on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage due its centuries of history.

This attractive and private historic home is pleasantly positioned and within easy commuting distance of Dublin city and airport by road (M7 approximately ten minutes from Borris in Ossory) and / or rail.

The layout consists of bright high ceilings, rooms with period features and a wine cellar located in the basement with capacity for 6,000 bottles which is fully ventilated and finished with hydraulic lime.
Main entrance with original pine timber flooring opens up to a spacious hallway with access to the basement down a stone staircase. Ground floor consists of kitchen, utility, reception room, dining room, downstairs bedroom with ensuite, and original cut string stair case leading to half landing with two double ensuite bedrooms (one with private dressing-room). Second floor consists of two bedrooms (one ensuite).

Accommodation:

Entrance hall: 5.48m x 4.21m
Georgian Door with fan light opening up to original cut string staircase and pine timber flooring.

Basement: 4.54m x 11.5m
Preserved in hydraulic lime, beams, stone floor and stair case, lighting, secure cast iron doors on wine cellar with capacity for 6,000 bottles, RSJ, extractor fan for ventilation.

Reception: 7m x 5.51m
Original pine timber flooring, dual aspect, three bay sash windows with shutters. Original cast iron fireplace with pellet stove, high ceilings, plaster mouldings and skirting.

Diningroom: 6.70m x 5.59m
Concrete floor finished with carpet, two bay sash windows with shutters, cast iron fireplace with pellet stove, high ceilings, plaster mouldings and skirting.

Kitchen: 4.95m x 4.82m
Flag stone flooring, two bay sash windows, oil fired Aga range and timber beams.

Utility: 1.86m x 2.83m
Tiled flooring, bay sash window, Belfast sink.

Side entrance hall: 2.72m x 2.92m
Tiled and flagstone flooring.

Rear entrance hall: 5.15m x 2.44m
Georgian tiled floor.

Downstairs bedroom (5): 4.86m x 4.87m

Original pine timber flooring, two bay sash windows with shutters, pellet stove.

Ensuite: 2.68m x 1.92m

Shower, w.c., w.h.b., tiled flooring.

Separate w.c.: 2.68m x 2.81m

W.C., w.h.b., sash window with shutters, tiled flooring.

 

First Floor:

Landing: 4.22m x 5.5m

Original pine timber flooring.

Master bedroom (1): 7.06m x 5.51m

Original pine timber floor, pellet stove, high ceiling, plaster mouldings and two bay sash windows.

Ensuite/changing room: 4.85m x 2.7m

Concrete floor finished with tiles, free standing bath, w.h.b., sash window and shutters.

Bedroom 2: 6.68m x 5.55m

Pine floor, single aspect, pellet stove, high ceilings, skirting and plaster moulding.

Ensuite: 2.95m x 2.7m

Concrete floor finished with tiles, w.h.b., w.c., corner bath with mixer shower, hot press.

 

Second Floor:

Landing 2: 4.92m x 2.7m
Pine timber flooring, sash window with shiplap ceiling.

Bedroom 3: 4.875m x 4.91m
Pine floor, shiplap ceiling, solid fuel Stanley stove and two bay sash windows with shutters.

Bedroom 4: 4.88m x 4.93m
Pellet stove, pine shiplap ceiling, two bay sash windows with shutters.
Ensuite: 2.75m x 1.78m
W.c., w.h.b., shower with mixer and bay sash window with shutters.

East wing C. 1,330 sq.ft.:
This is a self contained bright and spacious four bedroom, two bathroom (one with bath and shower and one with shower) detached mews with new tiles and fixtures.
Accommodation consists of open plan living room/diner with pellet stove, kitchen, four bedrooms, main bedroom ensuite, and bathroom,

Sheds and Storage:

Storage 1: 3.5m x 5.8m

Shed: 11.4m x 6m with water and electricity.

Storage 2: 3.5m x 5.8m

Coach House: 4.83m x 6.5m with concrete first floor.

Cut limestone out house: 13.1m x 7.1m with RSJ's and concrete roof.

Two storage sheds C. 500 sq.ft. each.

Hay shed with 5 bays (suitable for stables): 19.1m x 9.6m with galvanised roof, sliding door and concrete floor.

Barn: 19.1m x 6.12 with concrete floor, galvanised roof.
Mezzanine 7m x 6.18m

Boiler House: 3.1m x 5.7m with concrete floor, two insulated accumulator tanks, zoned three ways. Dual heating via pellet or solid fuel.

AGHABOE HOUSE : A BRIEF HISTORY

Aghaboe, with its Castellum was given by King Colman of Ossory to Saint Canice (Caineach) in 560 A.D.

Aghaboe with its Abbey and adjoining Village eventually became the See of the Diocese of Ossory which is the only Irish Diocese which corresponds almost entirely with an ancient Irish Kingdom, Ossory.

The See was later translated to Kilkenny which at the time was shown on maps as Ossory. Strongbow and his entourage were largely responsible for this development. However, an earlier legend concerning the appearance of two coffins at the funeral of Cainneach may suggest an earlier trend in this direction.

After centuries of fighting between the men of Upper Ossory and those now operating out of newly named Kilkenny (Church of Cainneach) a stone church was constructed by Finghin MacGiollaPhadraig (Fitzpatrick) on the site adjoining Aghaboe House in 1383.

The site of the present Aghaboe House previously one of the tower houses built throughout Upper Ossory between 1480 and 1530.

In 1537 Brian MacGiollaPhadraig entered into an Indenture with Henry VIII (and became a Lord in the Irish government with the title of Baron of Upper Ossory. As part of this arrangement Brian was given Aghaboe Abbey and allowed to operate a weekly market on the site which now encompasses Aghaboe House and grounds.

Barnaby Fitzpatrick, the Second Baron of Upper Ossory operated a "tame stud" or breeding operation on the property. A famous and well documented case involved claims that O'Carroll had stolen some of his "wild stud" or stallions which were typically allowed to roam the "Criche" or borderlands between Upper Ossory and Eile.

Subsequent to Cromwell it is believed that the tower house was demolished and the current buildings which comprise Aghaboe House, along with its extensive perimeter walls and ice houses, were constructed. Once a section of the Village of Aghaboe the estate was taken under single ownership and the main house was extended and converted to a Georgian style home in approximately 1730.
Once home to Vicar Roger Ledwich, author of the two volume Irish Antiquities with related etchings of local historic sites, Aghaboe House was acquired in 1984 by descendants of residents of the Parish of Aghaboe who were displaced during the "Great Hunger".

Aghaboe House is now ready for the next Owner to preserve and protect its place in Irish History.

Property Features

  • Ideal events venue
  • Wedding planners paradise
  • Additional parking if required
  • Additional accommodation in the East Wing mews
  • 12.5 acres to enjoy privacy and tranquillity
  • Includes Ice houses .......ask if you have not heard
  • Opportunity to purchase an Irish Protected Structure
  • Elegant late Georgian country home
  • Private Orchard

 

Property Facilities

  • Parking
  • Gas Fired Central Heating
  • Alarm

 

BER Details

SI_666

Details

Status
Sale Agreed
Property Type
Detached
Beds
5
Baths
5
Lot area (ac)
12.5

Amenities

Amenities
Parking, Central Heating, Alarm

Location

Contact Clement Herron Real Estate

Contact Clement Herron Real Estate

Search